The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) is a corporate body established under the Statistics Act (2006).
It is the principal Government agency responsible for the collection, compilation, analysis, publication and dissemination of official statistical information and its custody.
It also oversees the coordination, supervision and development of programmes within the National Statistical System.
The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced individuals with excellent credentials to fill the following positions:-
1. Job Title: Statistician/ (STAT)
KNBS: Level 6
Ref: KNBS/ STAT/7/2011
No. of Posts: 12
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Manager in the relevant Division of a Directorate, this is the entry grade for the Statistician cadre. An officer at this level will be responsible for a specific sector, location, service or area of activity.
* Responsible for a specific economic sector or an area of statistical activity;
* Drawing up survey questionnaires and setting up control procedures for receiving returns and taking the necessary action;
* Collection, collation, computerization and analysis of data;
* Writing and submitting reports on specific assignments;
* Any other assignments given by the Senior Manager in the relevant directorate
* Deputize the County Statistical Officer;
* Coordinate collection, collation, compilation, analysis, and dissemination of population or social related Statistics;
* Coordinate, design and undertake county specific or national Population or/and Social related household and establishment based sample surveys;
* Monitor the quality of the population and social statistics data;
* Prepare periodic KNBS publications;
* Ensure that the activities of the Directorate are documented by preparing monthly, quarterly and annual reports;
* Update the national and county Bureau statistical frame, population and social statistics database;
* Respond to requests from population and Social data users;
* Provide technical support to the county or relevant ministerial headquarters on statistical issues;
* Any other assignments given by the County Statistical Officer
* An Upper Second Class Honours degree in Statistics with appropriate specialization from a recognized university/institution; or
* An Upper Second Class Honours degree in Economics, or Economics and Mathematics, or Economics and Statistics from a recognized university/institution; or
* An Upper Second Class Honours degree in any of the subjects enumerated at (I & II) above with a bias towards Computer Science, Operations Research, Survey Techniques and demographic Techniques and Demographic Techniques from a recognized university/institution.
* Be computer literate
* Be aged 30 years or below
2. Job Title: Payroll Accountant
KNBS: Level 5
Ref: KNBS/ P Acct/8/2011
No. of Posts: 1
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Chief Accountant, the Officer will be expected to administer the payroll and to prepare salary statements of all employees.
* Be responsible for maintaining computerized payroll related accounts;
* Calculate net salaries after taking into consideration deductions and exemptions and ensuring timely remittances of statutory deductions;
* Verify statements of earnings for employees, indicating gross and net salaries and deductions such as taxes, and insurance and pension plans;
* Verify and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, leave, share savings, employment and medical insurance;
* Reconciliation of accounts and accuracy of accounts
* Be a link between the accounts and the payroll section
* Ensure maintenance of records relating to monthly payroll details
* Any other assignments given by the Chief Accountant
* Have a first degree in Commerce or related field from a recognized University;
* Be a holder of CPA III or its equivalent
* 5 years financial accounting experience;
* Be familiar with workings of computerized financial systems;
* Be familiar with Government Financial systems;
* Knowledge of payroll accounting will be an added advantage.
* Have an eye for detail.
* Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Programmes (ERP) will be an added advantage..
* Have a high level of integrity
* Be of age 35 years or below
3. Job Title: Payroll Officer
KNBS: Level 5
Ref: KNBS/ P Off /9/2011
No. of Posts: 2
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Manager Human Resource Development, the Officer will be expected to assist in the payroll administration and to prepare salary statements of all employees.
* To collect, verify and process payroll information and determine pay and benefit entitlements for employees
* Prepare statements of earnings for employees, indicating gross and net salaries and deductions such as taxes, and insurance and pension plans
* Complete and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, leave, share savings, employment and medical insurance
* Provide information to employees on payroll matters, benefit plans
* Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts ;
* Any other assignments given by the Manager Human Resource Development
* Have a first degree in Commerce, Human Resource or related field from a recognized University;
* Have a Diploma in Human Resource Management
* 5 years experience in payroll management;
* Be familiar with workings of computerized Human Resource systems;
* Be familiar with Government Financial systems;
* Be of age 35 years or below.
* Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Programme (ERP) will be an added advantage.
Applicants should submit Application letters accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae, full names and contacts of three (3) referees, daytime contacts, and copies of academic and professional certificates, transcripts’ testimonials and National ID/Passport.
The reference number for the post applied should be clearly marked on the envelope and addressed to:-
The Director General
Kenya National Bureau of Statistics
P. O. Box 30266 – 00100
Herufi House, 1st Floor, Room 102
Applications must be received not later than 13th January 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.