North Eastern Province, Kenya
Based in Dadaab
Working under the Country Director, the Area Manager is responsible for DRCs operations in Kenya’s North Eastern Province (NEP).
S/he is responsible for program design and implementation, security, support functions, personnel management, funding and budgetary functions.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC has been active in Kenya since 2005.
The Kenya Program provides services and support in the sectors of WASH, Livelihoods, Shelter/Construction, Protection and Relief to IDPs, Refugees residing in Kenya and the resident communities hosting IDPs and refugees.
DRC has operational offices in Nairobi, Eldoret and Dadaab implementing programs directly and in partnership with local and international NGOs.
Management: Lead strategic planning and program development and ensure that operations are implemented within DRC’s regulations and guidelines.
- enabling an effective team through result oriented management systems,
- ensure programs are developed, implemented and evaluated within clear monitoring systems
a) operationalizing DRCs security procedures, providing safety and security analysis, recommendations and follow-ups,
b) organizing for regular staff training on the use of security systems.
HR, Finance and Administration: Act as the line manager for all staff based in NEP and is responsible for ensuring a result oriented team.
a) enable an effective team through mainstreaming performance based management systems,
b) ensure a diverse and skilled workforce through transparent recruitment processes.
Program:Ensure development of emergency programming that is efficient and accountable.
a) ensure that programs are based on user-identified needs and resources of the targeted population, are well coordinated with other aid actors, address lessons learned and steered towards decreased dependency on aid as well as accountable to the persons of concern,
b) ensure that programs are user-oriented.
- Advanced university degree in relevant field (relief, development, recovery) with at least 5-years relevant experience; or university degree and at least 8-years relevant experience; at least 3-years’ experience managing large-scale multi-sector programming.
- Proven experience in strategy development and program design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Practical and extensive financial, HR and administration management experience with extensive knowledge of budget development/management and finance documentation.
- Experience with UNHCR, ECHO, European Aid, and BPRM guidelines will be an added advantage.
- Result-oriented management experience of a large, diverse and dynamic team
- Practical and proven skills in negotiation and conflict resolution with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience in security/safety management in highly dynamic security environments is highly desired.
- Excellent report writing skills is a must.
- Past experience in East Africa.
- Experience in a refugee setting and knowledge of refugee issues.