Segera: Head of Department – Technical Services at Segera in Nanyuki – Kenya Jobs, Careers and Vacancies
HOD TECHNICAL SERVICES
Reporting to:Technical Services Manager, Segera
Commencing: May 2012
The HoD TS is will support the senior management team (comprising of Technical Services, Ranch, Finance & Administration and Tourism Manager) in their technical and maintenance needs.
The mission of Segera is to achieve a healthy, holistic balance of conservation, community, culture and commerce, leading to the creation of a sustainable, certified Global Ecosphere Retreat Long Run Destination that contributes to the vision of an ecosphere in the healthiest possible state.
To create and support sustainable, ecologically and socially responsible projects and destinations around the world to achieve long lasting impact and sustainability through the holistic balance of conservation, community, culture and commerce in privately managed areas.
Duties of the HoD of Technical Services:
Supervision and coordination of the different workshops and areas of activities / responsibilities of the Technical Services Department
This comprises on one hand:
The more construction-oriented workshops like carpentry, masonry, plumbing, metal-work, construction-related electric installations, painting, as well as maintenance of buildings in general and high-end tourist accommodations in particular.
On the other hand:
The operation and maintenance of very sophisticated technical systems like big generators, solar power plants, biological sewage treatment plants, solar boreholes, a very complex water and electrical system, as well as radio communication, internet, TV and telephone installations, and finally ensuring the smooth technical functioning of a complex eco-tourism lodge from behind the scene.
Technical Services is responsible for two very different fields:
a) The technical aspects of both, Ranch and Lodge, like:
- All the electrical equipment and installations including all solar power plants (photovoltaic).
- All the water and water pressure systems, all the sewage systems from septic tanks to Biobox to garden water, water softener, UV- and Ozone-treatment, etc.
- All the borehole systems including pumps, plumbing, solar power systems, batteries, generators, etc.
- The construction and maintenance of the technical livestock infrastructure including dipping stations, scales, steel elements, etc.
- The electrical side of all the generators.
b) The maintenance aspects of a very complex tourist lodge, including:
- Eight wooden houses built to the highest standards as well as the original Ranch house.
- Several swimming pools and ponds.
- A gym and a spa.
- A restaurant and a gift shop.
- An art gallery and an extensive collection of sculptures and other art pieces, including an elaborate lighting system.
The HoD TS is responsible for:
- Planning and coordinating the necessary activities to develop and implement systems to ensure optimal functioning and maintenance of the whole complex (all in close cooperation with the TSM and the supervisor of the workshops).
- Liaising with Human Resources for casuals and their welfare (transport, food, payment).
- Planning of leave and off duties for permanent staff with HR.
- Reviewing and controlling plans, specifications, sequence of work and provide quality control.
- Budgeting and estimation of bills of quantities for all construction and maintenance works.
- Enforcing compliance with health and safety procedures and standards.
- Liaising with Accounts & Procurement to ensure that budget lines are maintained and procurement only carried out once fund availability has been confirmed.
- Liaising with Procurement to ensure that materials requested by the respective maintenance teams have been procured and supplied, and ensuring that procurement protocols are followed by the supervisors.
- Setting up Maintenance Schedules for different Departments and facets off ?
- Coordinating external technicians for maintenance protocols of plant and equipment.
- Coordinating maintenance programs with Tourism and Ranch Managers to ensure as little disruption as possible.
- Planning and monitoring of budget
Skills, Experience and Personal attributes:
- Diploma in building and construction or in a technical field.
- Hands-on knowledge in electrical, plumbing, metal and wood work.
- Experience in workshop management.
- Computer literate with solid understanding of IT hardware.
- At least 12 – 15 years involved in an Agricultural or Large Tourism environment.
Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage problems.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to multi task.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to complete given tasks and duties in time.
- Willingness to subscribe to the company’s 4 C’s and the 4 key principles of being fair, honest, positive creative at all levels of work.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Willing to live in a remote cattle ranch and safari lodge.
- Dedicated team player.
- Ready to work on extra hours and tight deadlines.
- Willing to live on a remote cattle ranch and safari lodge.
- Willingness to subscribe to the company’s 4 C’s and the 4 key principles of being fair, honest, positive and creative at all levels of work.
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage problems.
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili.
- Driver’s license and with driving experience.
Segera is a founder member of the Long Run Destinations. For more information on the global network of Long Run Destinations and Segera Ltd visit www.thelongrun.com and www.segera.com
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications together with a detailed CV, a daytime telephone number, names and telephone contacts of three referees to reach us by 11th May 2012 to: firstname.lastname@example.org only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.