International Organization for Migration has an opening for an Engineer to assist in the implementation of the day-to-day operations of the shelter unit and projects.
Vacancy No.: IOMKE/038/12
Position Title: Senior Engineer – Shelter
Classification: Equivalent to G7/1 (based on the UN Salary Scale for the General Service Staff in Kenya)
Duty Station: Dadaab, Kenya
Type of Appointment: 6 months special all inclusive contract, renewable
Under the general supervision of the Head of Sub Office (HSO) Dadaab and the direct supervision of the Shelter Program Manager, Dadaab, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical support and coordination of shelter activities in Dadaab.
1. Assist and guide the Shelter Project Assistant in the implementation of the day-to-day operations of the shelter unit and projects, including developing, work plans and budgets, coordinating activities with other departments and agencies, overseeing records maintenance, monitoring budgets and approving and monitoring expenditures, overseeing reporting requirements, evaluating program or project service delivery and cost effectiveness; ensuring that procedures are being followed and assisting in resolving complex problems which require professional level input.
2. Supervise and guide professional, technical and support staff on a day-to-day or project basis, including determining workloads and schedules, developing, implementing and interpreting policies and procedures, evaluating and training staff and making hiring and termination recommendations.
3. Monitor and supervise the project design and construction, including reviewing plans, specifications, estimates and calculations and giving technical advice on corrective action. Attend and represent IOM in relevant technical meetings with UNHCR, donors, shelter partners and various stakeholders as necessary.
4. Train, guide and orient new field support staff involved in the implementation of shelter and other infrastructure projects.
5. Ensure proper financial management of all IOM construction -related activities in Dadaab in close cooperation with the shelter project assistant, procurement, logistics and other relevant units of the Mission
6. Report on a timely basis on the progress of the shelter construction and infrastructure project as well as on any external causes which may interrupt the ongoing or planned activities.
7. Maintain regular liaison with relevant counterparts in Dadaab where and when necessary.
8. Regularly update the Program Manager and Project Assistant on the progress of technical activities in the shelter project.
9. Together with the Program Manager and Project Assistant, liaise with prospective donors and draft proposals and budgets for shelter related activities.
10. Perform any other duties that may be required from time to time.
1. Completed Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited academic institution.
2. At least 7 years professional work experience in building construction, with strong technical knowledge in BoQs and materials including turn key projects.
3. Previous construction management experience desirable.
4. Desirable IOM Competencies:
a. Behavioural – Accountability, Client Orientation, Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity and Initiative, Leadership and Negotiation, Performance Management, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Teamwork, Technological Awareness and Resource Mobilization;
b. Technical – Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations, effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners, works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
5. Proficient in Microsoft Office and Outlook including AutoCAD.
6. Excellent command in spoken and written English and Swahili.
Mode of Application:
Submit Cover Letter and CV including daytime telephone and email address to:
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
P.O Box 55040-00200 Nairobi
or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or hand deliver them to the IOM Sub Office, Dadaab.
Closing Date: 10 May 2012