Post Title: Driver – UNOCHA
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment (Local)
Supervisor: Humanitarian Affairs Officer
Duration: One Year (with possibility of extension)
Duty Station: Baidoa, Somalia
Closing Date: 25th February 2013
I. Organizational Context
Given the challenging context of Somalia, OCHA will continue to play a key role to support the
Humanitarian Coordinator in mobilization and coordination of an effective and principled humanitarian response. OCHA is particularly concerned that vulnerable communities and those at risk from natural disasters and conflict receive humanitarian assistance and protection, which meet their assessed needs and enable them to rebuild sustainable livelihoods. Under the leadership of the UN Humanitarian/Resident Coordinator for Somalia, OCHA maintains an office in Nairobi and a strong field presence inside Somalia; the primary objectives of OCHA Somalia include the following:
1. Advocate for access to basic services, especially water, sanitation, education and health for vulnerable communities, including collection, analysis and dissemination of information and negotiation of access.
2. Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Somalia with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate with focus on strengthening the Cluster Approach.
3. Enhance a protective environment that respects human rights of all, including IDPs, returnees, and minority clans.
To support OCHA field operations, OCHA Somalia is looking for the service a driver who can ensure safe and smooth mobility of OCHA activities and staff members; and proper maintenance of OCHA vehicle assigned in Baidoa.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Within the framework of UNOCHA workplan, and under the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Affairs Officer, the driver will perform the following key functions:
Summary of Key Functions:
Provision of reliable and secure driving services
Proper use of vehicle
Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
Availability of documents/ supplies
Other assigned duties
1) Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by
• Drives the head of the Sub-office and other authorized personnel as directed,
• Drives office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items,
• Meets and escorts senior UN officials to and from the airport and facilitates immigration and customs formalities as required.
2) Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3) Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4) Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
5) Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
6) Meets and escorts senior UN officials to and from the airport and facilitates immigration and customs formalities as required.
7) When necessary, translates into local language for the head of the office and/or other official personnel using the car
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe, cost-effective and timely execution of the UN OCHA services.
V. Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
Shares knowledge and experience
Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness
Demonstrates good knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
Demonstrates good knowledge of security issues
Leadership and Self-Management
Focuses on result for the client
Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
Education: Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
2 years’ work experience as a driver with a safe driving record:
Valid and clean driving license
Knowledge of basic vehicle mechanics desirable.
Good knowledge of Duty station and surrounding areas,
Good level of spoken and written English
V. Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair (for Drivers)
Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol (for Drivers)
Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues (for Drivers)
MANAGING DOCUMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE AND REPORTS
Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
PLANNING, ORGANIZING AND MULTI-TASKING
Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
VI. Submission of application
Interested and qualified candidates applicants are required to fill and sign a P11 Form and submit it together with Curriculum Vitae by 25th February 2013 to the following email: email@example.com.
Hard copy applications marked “UNOCHA Driver – Baidoa” may also be delivered directly to the UNOCHA Offices in Mogadishu, Garowe, Bossaso, Hargeisa, or Galkayo.
The P11 Form can be obtained from the link below:
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
UNOCHA will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Dont Miss Our Daily Job Updates Click Here To