Lets focus on an interview question that scares many Kenyan jobseekers.
When it comes to job interviews, there are several questions that are not exactly work related, but are one of the major reasons why your job interview does not provide the results that are in your best interests.
One such question is: “why should we hire you?” Basically, this question is one of the important questions during an interview.
For one, the interview question “give us reasons to hire you”, “why should we employ you” or “what can you bring to our company” is something that differentiates the best candidates from the other good candidates.
This question is more often a surprise question to most individuals who are not as experienced in the process
of the job interview. Also, this question works as a divider between the people who are just casually looking for a job and the people who are really seeking a job.
If a person does his or her homework in the right manner, he or she would certainly come across this question as one of the most frequently asked questions and may also know how to handle it.
While answering this question, remember that the answer should not come across to be egotistical or be completely unrealistic. You should focus on providing reasons to hire you over someone else in the best way you can.
The interviewer wants to hear – how you are going to create value. Therefore, focus on ‘value creation’ when answering.
The following are some points to consider:
1. One of the best ways to answer this question is to make a short list of all your advantages and create a paragraph that would point out the positive aspects that you would bring to the new job position.
2. One of the points that you can raise is the similarity of the job profile you are aiming for at the company to the job profile you enjoyed in your previous job.
3. You can also draw the interviewer’s attention to your key skills and strengths, namely – quick learning, excellent communication skills, etc.
4. In addition, your professional ambitions should be made clear – the motivation and dedication that you have for the profession and the opening position.
5. Make sure that your answers do not come out to be too much about yourself or that they come across as conceited.
6. Your body language when you answer the question is important too. For example, your body language should make it clear that you have thought it over and given a carefully worded answer, instead of coming up with a made up, contrived answer.
While answering, firstly, take one of the job requirements, then focus on one of your related strengths/skills AND give a concrete example (a success story) based on your past experiences to support your point. Break the job requirements into fragments and continue in this manner.
For the last sentence, a phrase that can be used is:
The job is tailored to my (or – I will bring my) experience, knowledge base and abilities and I believe I can maximize my skills for the benefit of the company.
There you have it. Answering why should we hire you interview question shouldn’t be rocket science.
Liked This Article?