Finance Director, Sub Sahara Africa and South Africa
Our client, The Nielsen Company, is the world’s leading provider of marketing information, audience measurement, and business media products and services, working globally and locally with the likes of Unilever, Coca Cola, Nestle, Nokia and Proctor & Gamble as well as Time Warner and Universal Studios. Headquartered in New York, USA, Nielsen has nearly 34,000 associates and operates in more than 100 countries around the world.
The Company seeks to strengthen its leadership team by recruiting an innovative, experienced and results-
driven finance business partner for Sub Sahara Africa and South Africa who will be based in Nairobi. Nielsen’s business in Africa spans over 16 countries in East, West and Central Africa and is looking to expand to an additional 20 countries in 2012.
The individual will manage the full spectrum of the finance functions across the regions including developing and executing a financial strategy to support the company’s business growth; controllership; financial planning; and will be required to build a strong talented finance team.
The successful candidate will be a key member of the senior management team for Sub Sahara Africa and South Africa and will play a key role in driving the success of Nielsen’s business in Africa.
* Lead the development and execution of the finance strategy, provide leadership, risk management and financial advise with regard to business performance, and ensure action plans are in place to meet business commitments;
* Provide strategic advice to support business initiatives and projects and assist in the execution of business strategies;
* Drive consistent improvements in financial processes and routines and ensure effective management of costs across the business;
* Accountable for all internal finance processes, controllership, owning the complete balance sheet, filing and reporting requirements within the regions;
* Develop local finance talent and pipeline plans, coach teams and ensure value add integration within Nielsen;
* Ensure timely and accurate reporting monthly, quarterly and annually on costs/revenue by cost centre and ensure regular updating of forecasts in light of changes in costs and revenue;
* Ensure timely submission of annual tax return to tax authorities within the regions and annual filing of company records with the Registrar of Companies where applicable;
* Negotiate contracts on behalf of the Company; serving as Public Officer of the Company in Income Tax matters and as Company Secretary for statutory matters; and acting as Principal Officer and Employer-nominated Trustee on the Company’s Pension and Provident Funds; and
* Lead the annual Budgeting, forecasting and strategic planning through medium term plan.Act as Business Partner to the Country Managers and other Operational Directors in aspects of proper reporting, adherence to Budgets and ensure adherence to Global Policies and practises.
Required skills and experience
* Minimum of an undergraduate degree with professional qualifications in accounting and/or financial management. Possession of an MBA or relevant Masters Degree will be an added advantage;
* A minimum of 10 years financial management experience, 3-4 of which must be at senior management/director level and preferably in a multi-national organization in the services sector;
* Strong leadership skills and ability to work at both strategic and tactical levels, within managerial/ leadership and non-managerial employee groups;
* Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills;
* Excellent analytical skills – ability to link financial results to operational performance drivers and provide value add insights to the business; and
* Working experience with SAP/Hyperion and strong excel skills will be an added advantage.
If you believe your career aspirations match the required profile, please send your applications in confidence to email@example.com by close of business Friday 3 February 2012, quoting reference number ESS 463.
Please provide your curriculum vitae containing details of your qualifications, experience, present position, current and expected remuneration as well as copies of professional/academic certificates.
Include day and evening telephone numbers, e-mail address, names and addresses of three references.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.