Technical Officer at African Seed Trade Association (AFSTA) in Nairobi – Kenya Jobs, Careers and Vacancies
TECHNICAL OFFICER with African Seed Trade Association (AFSTA)
AFSTA is a continent-wide umbrella body representing the private seed industry. AFSTA was formally established on March, 2000, during an inaugural congress in South Africa where Kenya was elected as host country for the Secretariat.
The African Seed Trade Association arose out of a need to have a regional representative body for the seed industry, which could also serve to promote the development of private seed enterprises.
A range of African and international stakeholders commenced discussions early in 1997. This developed into a preparatory meeting held in Malawi in April 1999 where an Ad Hoc working group was nominated.
The group developed a draft constitution, by laws, and budgets, which were finalized at a meeting in Kenya in August 1999. AFSTA now has a diplomatic status in Kenya.
Currently, AFSTA’s membership is over 100, majority of whom are private seed companies and the other members comprise of National Seed Trade Associations (NSTAs), International seed organizations, etc.
AFSTA’s Mission is: To promote trade in quality seed and technologies in Africa for the benefit of members and farmers
AFSTA’s objectives are:
- To promote the use of improved quality seed,
- To strengthen communication with African seed industries and with the world,
- To facilitate establishment of national seed trade associations in Africa,
- To provide information to members,
- To interact with regional governments and NGO’s involved in seed activities in order to promote the interests of the seed industry,
- To promote activities that lead to regulatory harmonization throughout Africa to facilitate movement of seed, and
- To develop a statistical database on African seed production and trade
Technical Officer Position
Job Purpose:To assist in implementing seed harmonization in the COMESA region and other Regional Economic Communities and strengthen the efficiency and effectiveness of the AFSTA Secretariat.
1. Harmonisation of Seed Regulations:
- Collect and collate updates from COMESA, SADC, ASARECA and EAC the status of the seed harmonisation process.
- Prepare for the periodic reports needed for the implementation of the Harmonization of seed policy and regulations in COMESA and other Regional Economic Communities.
- Be a resource person on the training of NSTA on the AFSTA seed projects.
2. Strengthening of National Seed Trade Associations:
Work with the Executive Directors of National Seed Trade Associations to ensure smooth running of the NSTA.
3. Implementation of the Strategic Plan:
- Deploy the AFSTA strategic plan to NSTA level.
- Assist the NSTA to develop annual plans in line with the strategic plan.
- Keep the committee of AFSTA on “Member Services” dynamic and reaching its objectives of improving AFSTA service to its Members.
4. Seed Projects and other assignments:
- Follow up any AFSTA seed projects and update in timely manner the Secretary General and the Chairman of the Committee on “Member Services” on any possible actions that would be necessary for good performance of such projects;
- Work closely with the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in Africa to undertake seed activities such as implementation of the harmonization of seed regulations and policies in the 19 Member States of Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA);
- Prepare for any AFSTA technical documents (position papers, technical presentation, report, seed projects, etc.), which are necessary in the pursuance of the AFSTA objectives;
- Organize technical training and other meetings in accordance with the approved program of work;
- Keep updated documentation on the African seed sector to be available for further reference especially for the International seed bodies (ISTA, OECD, 1SF, UPOV and FAO) for AFSTA members;
- Prepare proposals for joint action seed programs with other international and regional bodies;
- Contribute to the issuance of periodic and other publications covering seed and planting material and related activities in the region and provide documentation services concerning such activities inside and outside the region in cooperation with the Advocacy and Communication Unit of AFSTA;
- Undertake any reasonable request made by the Secretary General of AFSTA in the pursuance of the objectives of the Association.
Key Result Areas:
- Contribute to the implementation of AFSTA seed projects.
- AFSTA operational efficiency and sensible spending.
- Timely compilation and delivery of reports and minutes.
- Direct linkages with ECOWAS, WAEMU, ACTESA/COMESA, SADC, ASARECA and EAC.
- Vital liaison with NSTAs.
- Secretary General for direction.
- Peers for sharing.
- Governments, RECs and NGOs for partnership and policy formulation.
Mandatory Competencies and Qualifications:
This candidate must be an African citizen from any one of the African countries.
Career Background / Operational Experience:
- A commendable career with 10+ years experience in African agri-business at Technical Officer level, and specifically within the Seed Sector.
- Has worked or liaised with National Seed Trade Associations.
- 5+ years experience in delivering technical training.
- Has successfully worked in projects with various stakeholders including NSTAs, Regional Economic Communities including SADC, COMESA, ECOWAS, WAEMU, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to represent AFSTA in diverse important fora.
- At least Masters degree in Agricultural Science, Agronomy or other related fields.
- A Bachelors degree in the same fields will be considered if supported by ample experience)
- Qualifications in Training & Management.
- Good Computer skills (MS Office / Internet).
- Self disciplined and conscientious with the ability to work independently, without much supervision.
- Ability to work in a multi disciplinary team to achieve common goals in a challenging environment.
- Good Interpersonal skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English; Basic knowledge of French and Portuguese will be an added advantage.
Terms and Conditions
The Technical Officer shall be based in Nairobi, Kenya, where the Headquarters of the Association is located. The Technical Officer is recruited with a five (2) -year mandate with a high potential for extension based on a successful performance assessment.
The Remuneration is based on the regionally competitive and attractive salary scale of AFSTA
Expressions of Interest with a full CV and supporting statement, highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role should be submit to Ms. Susan Waweru, Director, SRI Executive Search, Nairobi, Kenya.
SRI Executive has been retained by AFSTA to manage both internal and external applications for this role.
The closing date for applications is 30 April 2012
- Latest Jobs in Kenya
- Academic Writing Jobs in Nairobi, Kenya
- CAP Entrepreneurship/ ICT Trainer Job in Kenya
- Safari Cook Job in Nanyuki, Kenya (Salary: Ksh. 30,000)
- Regional Sales Executives Jobs in Kenya (Nyanza, Rift Valley and Coast)
- Web Content & Social Media Editor Job in Kenya
- Co-op Bank Relationship Manager Job in Kenya
- Executive Assistant Job in Kenya
- WEMA Project Communications Officer Job in Kenya
- AERC Senior Policy Analysts Jobs in Kenya
- Samburu County Chief Officers, Administrators, Treasury, Supply, Revenue Officer Jobs in Kenya
- Motor Vehicle / Motor Cycle Corporate Sales Officer Job in Kenya (KShs 80K – 90K)
- Marketing Assistant Career Opportunity in Arusha, Tanzania
- Regional Sales Manager Career Opportunity in Kenya
- Business Development Manager, Bank Branch Managers, and Electrical Sales Representative Jobs in Kenya
- Marie Stopes Anaesthetist Job in Nairobi, Kenya
- Faulu Kenya Risk Manager Job in Nairobi
- Faulu Kenya Banking Operations Supervisor Job in Nairobi
- Industrial Relations (IR) Officer Job in Nakuru, Kenya
- Food and Beverage Supervisor Job in Kenya (KShs 25K)
- UNICEF Somalia Logistics Officer (Monitoring and VISION Support) Job in Nairobi Kenya (6 Months)
- World Agroforestry Centre HR Officer (Recruitment) Job in Nairobi Kenya
- World Agroforestry Centre HR Officer (Compensation and Benefits) Job in Nairobi Kenya
- World Agroforestry Centre HR Specialist (Recruitment & Insurances) Job in Nairobi, Kenya
- World Agroforestry Centre HR Officer (Contract Management) Job in Nairobi, Kenya
- German Agro Action / Welthungerhilfe Deputy Country Representative Job in Nairobi Kenya
Leave a Reply
- Accounting Jobs in Kenya
- Administrative Jobs in Kenya
- Advertising Jobs in Kenya
- Agricultural Jobs in Kenya
- Art Jobs in Kenya
- Aviation Jobs in Kenya
- Consultancy Jobs in Kenya
- Education Jobs in Kenya
- Engineering Jobs in Kenya
- Executive Jobs in Kenya
- Finance Jobs Kenya
- Government Jobs in Kenya
- Graduate Jobs in Kenya
- Graduate Jobs Kenya
- Healthcare Jobs in Kenya
- IT Jobs in Kenya
- Jobs in Nairobi
- Legal Jobs in Kenya
- Logistics Jobs in Kenya
- Management Jobs in Kenya
- Marketing Jobs in Kenya
- Media Jobs in Kenya
- Oil And Gas Jobs In Kenya
- Real Estate Jobs in Kenya
- Sales Jobs in Kenya
- Telecommunication Jobs in Kenya
- Iconet Solutions Accountant Jo...
- Nairobi Women’s Hospital Man...
- Site Coordinators (Training) J...
- All About Maina Kageni. His Li...
- Sales Executive Job in Kenya (...
- ICC Ruling On Kenyan Case. Le...
- Warehouse Supervisor Job in Ke...
- Mercy Corps Community Liaison ...
- Water Meter Readers Job in Dad...
- IT Jobs in Kenya
- Academic Writing Jobs in Nairo...
- CAP Entrepreneurship/ ICT Trai...
- CAP Customer Relations and Sal...
- Safari Cook Job in Nanyuki, Ke...
- Safaricom Limited Senior Netwo...
- Regional Sales Executives Jobs...
- Web Content & Social Media...
- Sacco Accounts Assistant Job i...
- Co-op Bank Relationship Manage...
- Executive Assistant Job in Ken...
- WEMA Project Communications Of...
- AERC Senior Policy Analysts Jo...